Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Shantel's First Game....EVER



Here is our sweet soccer "tiger". Shantel had so much fun at soccer last Saturday. Addie, the only other girl on the team was out of town, so Shantel was the only girl playing on both teams. She was a little timid at first running around with all those boys. And being the petite thing she is, they all towered over her, but she didn't let that totally stop her! At the start of the game she would stand there and just watch all the other players chase the ball and kick at it.
After a few encouraging words from the coach and mom she started running after the ball. By the end of the game she was even trying to get the ball from the other players...sometimes her own team, but she'll learn. She also had a turn to play in goal. I am pretty sure she had no clue what to do (note to self..work on that). She would watch as all the kids ran to her and watch the ball roll right past her! I told her to try to stop the ball from going past her, so she half heartedly stuck a foot out to "try" and stop it. Finally the coach and refs told her it was ok to use her hands and really try to get the ball. I think by the end she was doing better. WE look forward to the upcoming games. Over all she did great in her first sport and her first game ever!

5 comments:

Downs Family said...

We can't wait to join you this Saturday! It is going to be really entertaining huh? Too bad I will be a single parent, Trent has to work, Talon gets the stroller!

The Lymans said...

How cute! I love watching little kids playing soccer. They all swarm around the ball. Your a soccer mom now! How great is that?!

Sarah Smith said...

Shantel is so grown up and so adorable! I was the only girl on my soccer team when I was in first grade...she will be outscoring the boys before you know it!

The Lilly's said...

Hey Kristine! Laura Gleed gave me her blog address and she had a link to yours, it's been fun to see the latest on all my old co-workers. I decided to start one, it's sillylillys.blogspot.com. It's still under construction but I thought I'd let you know. Take care, Lana

Jer + Lu said...

Natural, eh? I'm sure it'll get better-- couldn't get much worse! jk. Our soccer season was an all-time low...